Call for Abstracts
4th African Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity
“Managing the spectrum of data generated during disease outbreaks and Biosecurity threats”
Freetown, Sierra Leone
September 26-28, 2018.
Global Emerging Pathogen Treatment Consortium (GET) in partnership with West African Task Force for Emerging and Re-emerging Infectious Disease Outbreaks (WATER) and Mothergold (MG) are organizing the 4th African conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity in Freetown Sierra Leone from 26 to 28 September 2018. The conference is an academic and policy based meeting that will address response mechanism to biological threats and increasing incidences of Emerging Infectious Diseases (EID) from a Continental perspective.
- General Objective of the Conference:
To accelerate regional and continental political and public awareness of biological threats and align with international efforts such as the Biological Weapons Convention, United Nations, 1540 Security Council Resolutions, (IHR and PVS) and the One Health Paradigm that addresses such threats. Provide the impetus for adaptation of policies and practices that will maximize effective management of data generated during disease outbreaks.
- Share experiences, best practices, and challenges in collection and management of biological information generated during disease outbreaks
- Identify regional and international opportunities for collaboration in support of collection, storage and management of biological data.
- Identify activity going on the Continent and use information shared to develop milestones for achieving an African Agenda
- Fast track a harmonized African Strategy to receive full political backing in addressing the plethora of samples not thoroughly inventoried.
- Opportunity to present the latest breaking research activity and Collaborations from Ebola and other deadly Emerging infectious diseases.
- Debate evolving vaccine and immunological therapeutic modalities.
The conference will focus on Seven (7) thematic areas. Abstracts on these and related topics are being solicited from academic, industrial and governmental organizations at the local, national, continental and international level. Abstracts of 200-300 words are being sought for both oral and poster presentations under the following thematic areas:
There will be 7 streams at the 4th meeting in sierra Leone:
- Era of Emerging Infectious Diseases (EID)
- Public Learning and Understanding of Science (PLUS),
- Vaccine and Immunological Strategy The Cultural, Anthropological, Social and
- Economic Impact of Emerging Infectious Diseases (CASE)
- Junior Faculty. Mentoring the next generation of African Scientists on EID.
A 200-300 word electronic abstract must be received by GET latest by May 30, 2018. Specify platform or poster presentation preference. You will be notified of the fate of your submission by the 30th of June.
- Abstract submission due: May 30, 2018. DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND EXTENDED TO: JUNE 21, 2018
- Abstract acceptance notifications: June 30, 2018
- Draft extended abstract (3-5 pages) due: July 15, 2018
NOTE: Although authors are requested to indicate their preference for oral or poster presentations, it may not be possible to accommodate all the requests.
GET can provide an invitation letter to assist with visa applications for international authors once abstracts have been accepted.
(The fee includes conference materials, coffee breaks and a lunch buffet)
Conference registration fees:
$50 (Students- Normal delegate)
$150 (African Delegates -Normal Registration),
$300 (Non-African Delegates -Normal Registration)
The conference registration fee is free for students with accepted abstract.
Other delegates with accepted abstract will also have a 50% reduction in registration fee.