Preventing COVID-19 in our schools
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a novel virus, and we are learning more about it every day. There is currently no vaccine to protect against COVID-19. At this point, the best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes it. Stopping transmission (spread) of the virus through everyday practices is the best way to keep people healthy.
Prevent Illness through Good Hygiene Practices
The best way to prevent illness is to practice excellent personal hygiene habits. Take simple steps to reduce your risk of getting and spreading viral respiratory infections like the flu, common cold, and COVID-19.
- Promote regular and thorough hand washing by staffs and students
- Put sanitizing hand rub dispensers in classes and other prominent places in the school, especially the toilet. Make sure these dispensers are regularly refilled
- Make sure that staffs and students have access to places where they can wash their hands with soap and water.
Monitor and plan for Absenteeism
- Review the usual absenteeism patterns at your school among both students and staff
- Alert local health officials about large increases in student and staff absenteeism, particularly if absences appear due to respiratory illnesses (like the common cold or the “flu,” which have symptoms similar to symptoms of COVID-19).
- Encourage students and staff to stay home when sick.
- Discourage the use of perfect attendance awards and incentives
Perform Routine Environmental Cleaning
- Routinely clean frequently touched surfaces (e.g., doorknobs, light switches, countertops) with disinfectants
- Provide disposable wipes so that commonly used surfaces (e.g., keyboards, desks, remote controls) can be wiped down by students and staff before each use
Create Communications Plans for use with the School
- Create strategies for sharing accurate and times information with staffs, students and parents
- Include information about steps being taken by the school to prepare.
To get accurate information about COVID -19 in Nigeria, contact the following numbers:
You can also follow these websites and social media platforms: